It’s not too late to book your Fall Lawn Renovation with KW Landscaping but time is running out. September 2nd – September 26th is the ideal time to help your lawn recover from summer. Aerating, overseeding and topdressing with compost are all important lawn chores to be done in September. KW Landscaping would be happy to try to accommodate your home’s lawn but please contact us now to get this scheduled.
September is the best time for the Maryland region to get your lawn healthy. The soil temperatures are still really warm which allow the grass seed to germinate faster. The days are cooler which is the preferable growing conditions for Maryland cool season grasses and not weeds like crabgrass.
Aerating, topdressing and overseeding lawns consisting of Cool season grasses should be done in September. There are many reasons for this. With fall germination, the young grass will have two or three months to become better established before temperatures drop too low and growth stops. Next spring, the young plants will have another few months to develop deeper roots before the summer heat sets in. This is the primary reason, but there are also other reasons for overseeding lawns in the fall. Below are a few:
- Overseeding lawns in fall reduces or eliminates competition from summer weedy grasses, such as crabgrass and other weeds.
- Soil temperatures are still warm in the fall, which is necessary for seed germination, while the cooler air temperatures are better for grass growth.
- Rain amounts and soil moisture is generally better in the fall.
- Overseeding lawns in the fall gives the grass a head start. The roots have become established before winter, which greatly reduces crop loss should you have a hot, dry spring.
- An even compost coating will help to maintain a rich green lawn color through the winter because of the organic matter in the compost
Contact KW Landscaping for more information and to schedule your service.